Friday, February 18, 2011

OMG is that a crocodile?!

Trying to summarize the last three weeks is a nearly impossible task but I will take my best shot at it: Our grand entrance at the airport was a pretty decent preview of how the entire trip would go, arriving 5 hours late in true “island time” fashion, greeted by an entourage consisting of university students, peace corps members, Patricia, and our paparazzi, Joao. The first night there, when I got dumped off (after a hectic day and long bus ride around Praia) at my host family’s cozy Kobon abode, without anyone else who spoke English, having no idea where I was or how to navigate the lack of roads in Kobon; I did not think I would be in tears when I was forced to leave 3 weeks later.

After the initial culture shock set in, I was more filled with amazement at the beauty of the island and the thriving local culture that existed there. The people of Cabo Verde are probably the nicest people I have ever met in my life. The first night in my new home in Kobon, I met half the neighborhood. Everyone was coming over to meet me and say hello. My host family was so nice and caring. Any time I was gone for more than a school day Marcolina (my host mom) would come out to meet me, saying she missed her daughter, along with a crew of about 10 kids from around the neighborhood who were attached to my side as soon as I would get home from school every day. We also had lots of dance parties to the “funa-na” in our living room. Cape Verdian culture can be seen at every turn; it is expressed through a wide range of media, from local artists’ graffiti, murals on the walls outside of schools, guerrilla campaign slogans written in the mountains, or music playing inside a local restaurant or bar.
Besides the cultural aspect, the number one issue that affected me was water. I think that is true for most of us. I don’t think that any of us anticipated the lack of a constant water supply. Not a single one of us had consistent plumbing, and some of us didn’t even have the fixtures. Being served juice with every meal instead of water took a bit of getting used to, but was simultaneously delicious. Hearing that the water salinization plant could barely provide enough water for half of the city of Praia was shocking, along with the fact
that there is no rain water collection system. I definitely think that if the schools put more of an emphasis on education regarding ways to improve water problems, like rainwater collection or implementing the use of composting toilets, it would be incredibly helpful for Cape Verde.
I was also struck by the way that unplanned communities are created. Walking through the winding alleys of Kobon, and getting lost multiple times, helped me realize the way that these communities are (or are not) organized. One slight wrong turn could take me miles out of the way of my destination. Kobon has no paved roads; the nearest road (leading up to Palmarejo) was a few hundred meters away from my home. This lack of infrastructure was startling, but the way that the community has adapted to it was also amazing. The community had basically formed itself through time within the valley between Palmarejo and Santa Antonio. The dirt alleyways became the streets in which the community thrived and lived. The children in my neighborhood took me all over and there is no way that I would have been able to navigate my way through the area on my own. The people of each neighborhood have completely different ways of living, but all of them seem very happy, regardless of their home location. The parents seem to not worry about the whereabouts of their small children; they trust their friends and neighbors completely. The entire community looks out for each other, which is definitely something that is not always seen in a college campus community like ours, or even in suburban America.
Overall, the last 3 weeks have been very influential in my design mentality. Seeing this sort of culture and lifestyle reveals a totally different demand for a different kind of design; being limited by your surroundings, and the resources available on an island like Cabo Verde. However, the limitation is not the only influence I found that influence design, using the island, the culture, and most of all the people to inspire future designs, not just for the Cape Verde Studio 2011, but for whatever clients and communities that may cross my path. I hope that I will always remember the influence of this trip, and that I will always take those elements into consideration. It was definitely the most life changing experience I’ve taken part of, and I can’t wait for an opportunity to return to Cape Verde.

No comments:

Post a Comment